Monday, December 29, 2008

Cosiner’s Monthly Album Reviews: October 2008 Part 1


Roscoe Mitchell Sextet - Sound (Delmark, 1966)

One of my favorite albums of all time. Roscoe Mitchell's (Art Ensemble of Chicago, AACM) sextet LP from 1966. He expresses an emphasis on the notion of sounds rather than "tune," occasionally in silence, throughout the whole album as one. The group, Roscoe organized here with Lester Bowie (t), Lester Lashley (tb), Kalaparush Marurice McIntyre (ts), Malachi Favors (b) and Alvin Fielder (d), works largely in overtones and distortions more than in true tones. I find myself listening back to this album when I am thinking about starting a project completely different from what I was doing before. I sometimes listen to this purely as "sounds" without having anything in mind. If you come across with a vinyl copy, the sound quality on LP has much more clarity than the CD reissue but the CD comes with 2 bonus alternative takes of "Ornette" and "Sound" previously unreleased (although those sound a bit editted to me and takes me a while to get used to it every time. I should probably get over it by now...). Stay tuned.

-Cosiner

No comments:

Post a Comment